Raheem Sterling has taken to Instagram to call out Leonardo Bonucci, who said that Moise Kean was “50/50” to blame for the racist abuse he received against Cagliari last night.
Kean, who is one of world football’s brightest talents, suffered racist abuse all game from Cagliari fans, who taunted him with monkey chants for the entirety of the game before he scored and celebrated in front of them in Juve’s Serie A victory against the Sardinian side last night.
Moise Kean has suffered racist monkey chants all game from Cagliari fans and he replies by scoring and celebrating in front of them.
Disgraceful this is still in the game. pic.twitter.com/Lrt0FNXP2V
— VERSUS (@vsrsus) April 2, 2019
Italy international Bonucci – who scored the opening goal – told Sky Sport Italia: “You celebrate goals with your team-mates. He could have done it differently. I think the blame is 50-50. Moise should not have done that and the Curva [fans] should not have reacted in that way.”
Kean’s Juventus team-mate Blaise Matuidi protested to the referee after the abuse and threatened to walk off, having previously complained in 2018 he suffered racist abuse at the same stadium.
Kean responded similarly to how Sterling did last month after his goal against Montenegro, uploading a picture to Instagram captioned: “The best way to respond to racism”. Sterling has now taken to Instagram to support the 19-year-old Italian baller, tagging Bonucci along with his “50-50” quotes in a post with “all you can do now is laugh”.
Sterling and Kean are setting the example of how to deal with disgraceful racism that is still sadly rife in the game in 2019 by silencing them with their on-field brilliance. Football authorities all around the world now need to take a hard line stance to crack down on racist abuse.