AJ Tracey has become Tottenham Hotspur’s best signing of the summer.
The Ladbroke Grove rapper has been the face of Nike and Tottenham Hotspur’s 2017/18 kit reveal and he debuted his latest track, ‘False 9’, at the launch party for Spurs’ new strip in London on Friday night.
‘False 9’ is a banger that’s littered with references to Tottenham Hotspur, FIFA 17 and the biggest players in European football, past and present.
We combed through the bars to find every football-inspired lyric AJ Tracey penned in this latest drop.
1. “They call man false 9 / I can play anywhere and I shine / I got more than a lot on the line / to take on a man, get twine”
AJ uses the metaphor of playing as a false 9 to show his skill and versatility within music. He can take on anyone and humiliate them with his ability.
2. “Man can’t match this / I got fire in a box like matchsticks”
AJ drops a double entendre. “Fire in a box” also relates to the ability of a striker, or False 9, in the opposition area.
3. “I got vision so I pass like a relay / No goal-line tech, can’t get a replay”
AJ’s opposition can’t look to goal-line tech to save them.
4. “My whole team on fire / White kit, see the gal dem admire / I used to hold up the line like Puyol / Bet you thought I was gonna say Dier”
He pays tribute to Spurs’ new all-white kit and makes reference to Carlos Puyol and Eric Dier, defenders past and present.
5. “Chop left, sent to the shop, go Matalan / Pace abuse, I chase cheques like Aubameyang”
AJ’s using the ‘Ronaldo chop’ to send people the wrong way and leave them in the dust. He also references the pace of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, the fastest player in the world according to FIFA 17. The striker is also rumoured to be chasing a mega-money move to China, which AJ nods to.
6. “Been a legend and I still am like Figo”
A tribute to the legacy of Real Madrid and Portugal legend, Luis Figo.
7. “I’m a midfield maestro like Eri / Bet you thought I was gonna say Modric”
AJ says he runs the game like Spurs Christian Eriksen. The lyric also alludes to Eriksen stepping out of the shadow of ex-Spurs playmaker, Luka Modric.
8. “My chain bling like disco / Flair and skill when I flex, I’m Isco”
A shout out for Real Madrid midfielder, Isco.
9. “And I can still kick balls like Drogba / Young and I make big wins like Gotze”
AJ compares himself to the legend of Didier Drogba and midfielder Mario Gotze, who won the World Cup with Germany at just 22-years-old.
10. “Too far gone, can’t catch me, Costa”
This is either a nod to Diego Costa or – more likely – Douglas Costa, the pacey Bayern Munich winger.
11. “Tek like Onomah, sick like cholera”
A shout out to young Tottenham Hotspur midfielder, Josh Onomah, who made five apperances for the club last season.
12. “Five star skills, get twist like Oduwa”
AJ shouts out ex-Tottenham wonderkid Nathan Oduwa, who is one of only 36 players with a ‘5-star-skill’ rating in FIFA 17.
13. “OG, I’m a boss like Hugo”
Wordplay between fashion house Hugo Boss and Spurs goalkeeper, Hugo Lloris.